When I think about something absolutely decadent to eat, this sandwich is the first that comes to mind. Originally called Fool’s Gold Loaf, it was apparently Elvis’ favorite sandwich, so much that he once flew his private jet just to get one, or 22 of these. The original recipe has grape jelly in it, but I just didn’t feel it. Feel free to use some, though.
In this recipe, we are going to indulge the same kind of pleasure, except that unlike the original, this recipe won’t make you use an entire loaf of bread for one portion. We’re savages, but come on.
The Elvis Sandwich
Because why the hell not.
Please be aware that to make this recipe in the best conditions, you shall meet the following criteria:
- You must have no respect for your arteries whatsoever
- You must NOT try to calculate how many calories there are in one sandwich
- You shall be aware of the paramount importance of grease in one’s life. A great philosopher once said “Le gras, c’est la vie” (Caradoc, circa 2006)
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 4 slices bacon (the thick, greasy one)
- (optional) Butter
- (optional) Honey
- Cook the bacon slices in a pan on medium/high heat. Save the fat and reserve the cooked bacon slices.
- Spread butter to taste on each slice of bread
- Prepare the peanut butter and bananas. This can be done two ways, described below. I found method 1 helps the sandwich hold together more easily, while method 2 is more visually pleasing once the sandwich is finished.
- Mash the bananas and add the peanut butter. Mix them together and spread on two slices of bread.
- Cut the bananas in the length and lay on two slices of bread. Add the peanut butter on top.
- Add two slices of bacon to each sandwich. Close the sandwiches.
- Put half the reserved fat in the hot pan and cook one sandwich in it until the bread is golden brown (or slightly burned like I did.)
- If you think you won’t have enough fat for both sandwiches, don’t be shy, and mix the fat with melted butter. Just go all the way.
- Bake the second sandwich. Cut each sandwich in half, drizzle a bit of honey on top, snap a pic for the coroner’s report and enjoy!