For the dough
- 225g all purpose flour, sifted
- 130g cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 80 ml buttermilk
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crumb topping
- 45g brown sugar
- 25g all purpose flour
- 25g butter, cubed, at room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350C. Grease the muffin cups.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegrtable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup. Add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup.
- Mix this with flour mixture. Try to combine wet and dry with the fewest strokes possible. Ideally the dough should not be completely homogenous and you should still see faint streaks of flour.
- Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- To make crumb topping: mix sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake at 175C for 15 min to set the batter, then turn the heat up to 200C for an additional 3 minutes to rise the muffin tops. (Tip: an aluminum foil on top of the pan helps keep the muffins moist and distributes the heat evenly)
- Let cool for at least 5-10 min before removing from the pan
There you go! See below an example of finished product, just before it got devoured: